Join our AmeriCorps VISTA team
Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA members oversee projects that build the long-term capacity of their communities through financial education, job skills training, business and economic development, affordable housing, services for the homeless, food security, and disaster preparedness.
VISTA members exclusively perform indirect service which means interaction with clients will be limited and the member will spend the majority of their time in an office setting. However, VISTA offers the opportunity to gain advanced project management skills and exercise creativity in implementing impactful programs—skills highly desired by employers.
VISTA members serving with the Mercy Corps Northwest cohort are placed in different non-profits around Oregon and Washington State. Most positions are located in the Portland Metro Area, but a few are located in Washington and Central Oregon. Please check the location of the specific position before applying and note that in some cases, rural sites may require that you have reliable transportation.
Next application date
The next recruitment cycle is intended to open in fall of 2021. You can also search national VISTA openings at any time at MyAmeriCorps.gov.
Eligibility and qualifications
To be eligible for VISTA service, a candidate must:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to community/public service
- Intercultural communication skills and experience working within diverse communities
- Preference given to those with lived experience in economically diverse environments
- Strong volunteer/community service experience
- High school diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree, or 4 years of relevant work experience, or a combination preferred
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to solve problems and be flexible
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work well in a team environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive preferred
Please note: VISTA positions may have their own specific skills and qualifications not shown in the list above. Please see more details on skills and qualifications for specific VISTA positions in the listings above.
AmeriCorps VISTA members serving with the Mercy Corps Northwest cohort receive several benefits including a living allowance, an end of service benefit in the form of an education award of $6,195 or a cash stipend of $1,800—your choice, and a $4,000 MCNW supplemental benefit. For the full list, please check out the benefits section of our FAQ.
Positions will be open until the date listed on the application, unless filled sooner. Early applications are strongly encouraged as selections are made on a rolling basis. Applicants must submit an application through the MyAmeriCorps.gov portal via the links provided after each position description below. No other application materials will be accepted.
Here’s how to apply:
- Review the open positions below and click the link after the description to apply to that particular position.
- You will be prompted to create an account on the MyAmeriCorps.gov portal before applying. If you already have one created, please log in.
- Once your account is created, submit your application to the position(s) you’re interested in on the MyAmeriCorps.gov portal. Note: you may apply to a maximum of 10 positions in the portal.
- If your application is a match, the supervisor for the position will contact you within a few weeks for an interview.
AmeriCorps VISTA Program Manager